Friday, March 2, 2012

Miss Orem meets Cake Boss

I fancy myself a baker so imagine my delight at the opportunity to meet the Cake Boss, Buddy Valastro.
While in NYC this week my parents and I took the 15 minute drive from Times Square, New York to Hoboken, New Jersey.

Right there on 95 Washington Street is the famous Carlo's Bake Shop.

Their tag line is"Love at first bite." I totally agree!

The Bake Shop is awesome and you can buy all the tasty baked goods - but the real action happens a few blocks west at the Cake Factory.


That's where I went to spend some time with Buddy. He was taping his show, Cake Boss, but took the time to visit with me during the lunch break.

Buddy is an amazingly charming man and made me feel right at home.

Here with my dad and Buddy's cousin Frankie, we are all part of "La famiglia" (the family).

I explained to Buddy that I wanted to be a Cake Boss too and needed some cake decorating tips.

So he started giving me a few pointers.



Then it was my turn!

Buddy inspected my work to make sure it was up to snuff.

I got to wander through the different work stations. It is mind boggling to realize all the research and work that goes into each custom cake order - the ones you see on the show.

When I told Buddy that my twin sisters were going to feel sad to miss out he quickly personalized a cake for them.

After our visit with Buddy we went back to Carlo's and bought a few bakery items for ourselves.





Then we walked down Washington Street in Hoboken. It's a very charming city.

I had asked Buddy to recommend his favorite restaurant in Hoboken where I could eat dinner with my parents. He said if he were taking his wife to dinner he could go to Piccolo Roma Ristorante. So that's where we went.

I ordered his favorite, chicken parmigiana. Delicioso!!

When we got back to the hotel I was in the mood for dessert!

I loved everything I tasted, especially the cream filled lobster tail and the hazelnut eclair and the chocolate meringue and . . . I guess I really can't choose a favorite.

This cream filled chocolate mini torte was delicious.

We went back a second day to try some of the things we didn't try on the first day.

What an incredible experience. Thanks Buddy for your hospitality and for all the baking and decorating tips!

Love, Hannah Harkness

Miss Orem 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment