Friday, March 16, 2012

Utah Caucus Meetings

Last night was the Utah Caucus meetings. It was the first time I have ever attended. A caucus is a local meeting at which party members express their preference for the party's presidential nominee.Delegates to the party's nominating conventions are chosen at these meetings, but first you have to know your district and where your meeting is being held.
In Utah Valley the local causus meetings were being held at the area High Schools.
I have read that traditionally there is a 6% registered voter turn out for caucus meetings. In Utah, 60% of voters say they have never attended a caucus meeting.
I found that surprising because I have never seen the parking lots of the High Schools so packed.
It seemed to me like everyone was in attendance.
I felt very patriotic attending my first caucus. We are blessed to live in a country where we have the opportunity to participate in open elections and express our political views. I hope we all take advantage of that priviledge.
Love, Hannah Harkness
Miss Orem 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment