Friday, March 21, 2014

My Last Post as Miss Orem

I don't think it has fully hit me yet that I am going to be crowning someone else tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous, anxious, excited, and sad all at the same time. I there are some things I am looking forward to (Miss Utah, student teaching, graduating, etc.) and there are lots of things I will miss (the girl scouts, events, committee, etc.). I've been in the program for 3 years, and it's become a part of me. So, this will be a bittersweet, new adventure for me. I feel like I have reached adulthood. I am graduating soon, and lots of other changes are happening in my life so it's kind of weird. Like a fish out of water type feeling. And I don't think that the full idea of it has registered yet, because I still have 3 more months until Miss Utah where I am technically still Miss Orem. So I'm in a state of limbo until then.


I am looking forward to Miss Utah! Everything is coming together now, and I am getting so excited! I just got my send-off party all set up and ready to go. It is on June 13th at 7pm, and the lovely Mary Crafts-Homer (who owns Culinary Crafts Catering) is helping us out by donating desserts! I am so grateful for Culinary Crafts being willing to donate to help us out. They are known for being one of the best in Utah, so we are in for a treat I'm sure! The Scera on State Street in Orem is hosting the event for us. We will be in room 201. They have been a very generous sponsor all year, and I'm so thankful for them allowing us to use the room and help us out with tables and chairs. Brenna had her send-off there for her state pageant as well, and it looked lovely. It' surreal that it's my turn now to do that! I've been to 3 send-off's and now finally I get my own! It's been so fun to plan.
This picture above is what the director of the after school clubs at Westmore elementary gave me as a thank you for leading the girl scout troop and teaching the "miss orem's club." It is a big apple decoration, with bread and her homemaid jam! Becky Lacco is so thoughtful, and I will miss the girls. I enjoyed every second of my time there and I learned a lot from the people there. (the girls included.)

This past November I went to a "be a better you" type conference called Master of Influence. At the beginning of the conference everyone puts wishes up on a board for things they need. I put on mine, "a donation for my Miss Utah entry fee." We all see the postings and try to help fill a need. I brought in a pair of mens pants and an exercise video, and it felt so good to feel like I was helping people who needed it and doing what I can. At the end, they hand out everyone's things for what they got. I ended up getting this, from two cute little girls. They donated 50$, but what meant even more was the gift with it. They made a card that says "To the future Miss Utah" on the front. On the inside it says it says to believe in yourself, and we know you're talented and beautiful and it's so cool you're doing this. It also says "have a fun time!" It is signed, "Your biggest fans." They included a bouquet and a crown and sash that they made for me. This honestly made me cry. It was so sweet that they believed in me, thought I was cool, and looked up to me and wanted to help me. I will always keep this gift and remember how simple it was, but how special it made me feel. The thing I have treasured most about this year has been having such an impact on kids and making them feel on top of the world by letting them try on my crown and taking pictures with them. Because of experiences like this, I feel like I've already won Miss Utah. My heart has been filled to the brim with love and support from sweet little kids like this, to sponsors and my family. 

I want to thank the tons of people who have gotten me through this year. My mom is pictured below, and she is one of the many who have helped me soo so much. My roommates, friends, family, committee, director, sponsors, etc. Everyone has been so good to me. It is inspiring to me to see such generosity in people. I hope to be a "giver" and not a "taker" in the future to others, and pass on the amazing, giving spirit. Because I didn't mention names in my farewell address in the pageant tomorrow, I will put them here.
My mom & tom, dad & shelly, dallin, the graff family, jim & tania evans, kid with rkp beauty, la shanda hill with mary kay, kim & ray davis, wendy with it works wraps, response marketing, greg with tuttle family denistry, amy tuttle, kena worthin, kimberly harris & the miss orem committee, the jellums, the chanhmany's, Brenna, Amy, Janale, and Mallory on the royalty this year, sasha miss provo, and the other city queens, amy rasmussen, jaxon peterson, bridal center dresses, chelsea at bridal expressions, michael mitchel, zach, asher, and josh with body4change and velocity, kelli with kelli's hair design, hannah harkness, michael with michael portanda photography, mary with culinary crafts, shipley communications, cookie haven, coney's custards, scera center for the arts, and the mayor and city council.
I feel so blessed by knowing you all, and truly inspired by your goodness.




And a word of advice for all the contestants running for Miss Orem 2014 and Miss Orem's Outstanding Teen 2014 tomorrow...
Don't freak out, and just be YOU! Believe me, I know it's scary, but if you believe in yourself, and just have fun, you've already won. It's yours if you believe it, so go out there and take it!
Good luck girls! I know you'll do amazing!
This time tomorrow we'll have a new queen, starting out on a brand new journey. I feel so lucky to have had this experience, and I will remember it for a lifetime. It has truly changed me as a person for the better, and I will always treasure the relationships and memories I have gained from this experience. 
I can't believe I'm saying this, but for the last time, Good night!
See you all at the pageant tomorrow!
With love,
Sydney Flanigan
Miss Orem 2013






No comments:

Post a Comment