Sunday, April 26, 2015

I see blue wristbands everywhere I go!

 I have loved speaking to these awesome students about my platform. One thing I love about Create the Good is that it applies to any audience, anytime, anywhere. Every group has been so receptive and I've loved learning from them as we discuss the importance of service.The challenge I extend with these wristbands is to perform some sort of service before they take the wristband off.

Mountain View has a soft spot in my heart. I love the Man Choir and I actually used to T.A. for that class. They are an awesome group of guys that are definitely going places in their lives.

This here is the Orem Jr. High Hope Squad! The purpose of this club is combat suicide in their school. They are extra proactive in making friends and being a light to the school. What stellar kids!
On a day when I could not make it, one of our lovely Miss Orem Outstanding Teen contestants, Hailey Johnson stepped up and gave a presentation for me! She combined my platform with her own and talked about service and self-confidence, cool combination if you ask me! This is the Hope Squad of Lakeridge Jr. High, and I'm so glad they got to hear a great message even though I couldn't be there. Thanks, Hailey!
Here is Lakridge Jr. High's A Cappella Choir! I was once in this choir and loved it with all my heart. My brother also happens to be in the choir (bright yellow shirt on the back row) and promised to help his friends keep their promise of serving around the school before they take off the wristbands.
 
Although I often adjust my message according to the audience, one of the things I teach in my presentation is my favorite poem. I have grown up learning this poem and it has helped me throughout my life to remind me that I have a voice and I have a choice. And that's the message I love to share to everybody I can reach.
 
Drop a stone in the water
In a moment it is gone
But there are a hundred ripples
Circling on and on and on
 
Say an unkind word this moment
In a moment it is gone
But there are a hundred ripples
Circling on and on and on
 
Say a word of cheer and splendor
In a moment it is gone
But there are a hundred ripples
Circling on and on and on
 
I have loved spreading this message throughout Orem, I hope the ripples of my efforts last longer than the time that I have this crown.

Love, Maddi Millard
Miss Orem 2014-2015
 
#createthegood
createthegood.org
 

No comments:

Post a Comment