Sunday, April 10, 2016

Preparing, Networking, and Building


Wow! I cannot believe that my reign is almost over. And with the end of my reign comes the Miss Utah pageant! It's so strange that I'll actually be competing in it. Growing up, I saw girl after girl prepare for it, and I knew that one day I wanted to be a part of it as well. It always seemed like one of those far-off ambitions that may or may not come true... but now it's here! And I am SO excited!


 I see my preparation for Miss Utah as a refiner's fire: it's not easy, it may be painful at times, but the final result is worth the struggle! As part of my preparation, I've been hosting shoe drives within the community to benefit the people of Burkina Faso, Africa. Several local schools have hosted a "Battle of the Shoes" within their schools, and I have been so impressed with the tenacity in which they approached the project!



 

 Not only have schools been helping, but local businesses as well! Equinox, Chick-Fil-A, Swig, TURN Community, The Orem Public Library, and the Orem City Center have been more than willing to help in this great service project.

Another project I've been involved with lately is planning and executing the "Orem's Got Talent!" variety shows to benefit the Children's Miracle Network hospitals. The process required a significant amount of advertising, networking, coordinating, and managing. The show was very successful and we raised nearly $1000.00 for the Children's Miracle Network! I have to say that I gained a HUGE amount of respect for any and all event coordinators! You never realize how much work something requires until you experience it for yourself!



I was so impressed by the talents in our community. There were hula-hoop dancers, beat-boxers, singers, orchestras, and more. I'm so grateful for the support of our Mayor Brunst who helped emcee the event, as well as for the city council members who attended! It also wouldn't have been possible without the help of my family, Miss Pioneer Valley, my friends, Timpanogos High School, and all of our generous sponsors.

Recently I attended the Miss Utah spring workshop where I selected my contestant number - lucky number 14! - and turned in all of my paperwork for the competition. I cannot express how excited I am for Miss Utah! I have a fantastic group of girls, and hostess.







Today I am grateful for the ability to progress. Within the past few weeks, there have been several times where I've been discouraged. My school work hasn't been perfect, I was nervous about completing Miss Utah paperwork, and many times I felt alone. But as I have taken a step back and applied my platform of SELF-esteem to my own life, I've come to realize that I have made substantial progress. I might not have received an "A" on my paper, but I can see I am improving in my writing style. I might not have fully-defined abs, but they are nearly there!



Today I am grateful for the ability to progress. Within the past few weeks, there have been several times where I've been discouraged. My school work hasn't been perfect, I was nervous about completing Miss Utah paperwork, and many times I felt alone. But as I have taken a step back and applied my platform of SELF-esteem to my own life, I've come to realize that I have made substantial progress. I might not have received an "A" on my paper, but I can see I am improving in my writing style. I might not have fully-defined abs, but they are nearly there!


No comments:

Post a Comment