Monday, June 1, 2015

Memorial Day

I had the opportunity to attend the service for Memorial Day this past Monday at the Orem Cemetery. I had never attended it before and am so grateful I did.
The service was awe-inspiring. Viewing the twenty-one gun salute, honoring the veterans, addressing the fiftieth anniversary of the war in Vietnam, and recognizing each branch of military helped me to gain a greater appreciation for our country and those who have put their lives on the line - and continue to put their lives on the line - for our freedom. Living in a free nation, it is easy to take it for granted, but I'm so grateful that we have a day dedicated to remembering the sacrifices men and women have performed to maintain our liberty.


Following the ceremony, I met a few veterans of the Vietnam and Iraq wars. They were very approachable and more than willing to talk to us. It was such an honor to be introduced to such brave men.


A few Daughters of American Revolution were present at the service. Knowing that they were related to the first defenders of our country and, essentially, the founders of our freedom was amazing to think about. I am so grateful that I was privileged enough to meet them.



Of course we had a fantastic time with the mayor as we always do. We had a great time taking pictures with him and hearing about his family who served our country.



Norman and Shirley Tong were the keynote speakers at the service. Both were present in Hawaii on December 7, 1941, when the Japanese began their airstrike. After hearing about Pearl Harbor in History classes throughout all my schooling, it was so moving to hear their actual accounts of the event. Shirley is Japanese-American and also spoke of how she was bullied because of her ethnicity following the attack Pearl Harbor. Not only was she bullied, but much of her life was altered. Hearing hers and Norman's story, it was impossible not to take note of the strength and courage they both possess. They display what it means to be an American.
Later that evening, Daisy, Jackie, Kim, and I were able to attend the Scera Shell for the performance of the Liberty Voices. None of us had ever heard of the Liberty Voices, but as soon as we heard them sing we knew that we had been deprived of fantastic musical talent for a great portion of our lives. We were completely blown away by their performance! They all had unbelievable vocal ranges. When I say unbelievable, I MEAN unbelievable! They sang Disney songs like "Let it Go,"and "You Can Fly!" They also sang "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," "God Bless the USA," and all the verses of "The Star-Spangled Banner" as the finale.





Overall, it was a fantastic day. It was such a privilege to meet all the great people in our community and then finish it off with a musical celebration honoring our country. Becoming familiarized with the diverse backgrounds, personalities, and stories of the individuals I have the opportunity to come into contact with is definitely one of the highlights of being Miss Orem. I can't wait to see what June has in store!


Going along with Memorial Day, I am grateful for our great country and those who fought, and fight, to preserve it. From the American Revolution to the end of the Cold War, and from women's suffrage to the abolition of slavery, our country is built upon the determination for freedom and independence. I think that the following lyrics say it best,
"And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A."
- Lee Greenwood Proud to Be an American
Much love,

Jesse Craig
Miss Orem 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment