Saturday, January 3, 2015

Dollhouse Festival and Masquerade

For many years now, I have been looking for a local organization that focuses on child advocacy. After talking to the people in charge of this fundraiser, I FOUND IT! The Children's Justice Center held a fundraiser in the form of a masquerade dinner and a tea party (Alice in Wonderland themed). These two nights were an absolute blast and I loved helping out with the whole royalty. This event definitely made the top ten list of favorites. I will be volunteering at the Children's Justice Center for the next 4 months and I could not be more excited to get involved in this field, it is, after all, what I am studying to work in. I am so grateful that this door was opened to me because of the title of Miss Orem. 

This first day was the tea party, there was a photo booth that we had way too much fun with. The little kids that were there were from around the city and they loved the tea party and the entertainment. There were numerous other booths and activities, but my personal favorite was helping out with the photo booth and holding props for  all the kids.








You've got to love the Mad Hatter :)


He didn't seem to think my crown was fashionable enough.




I got my own personal balloon cougar!






I have to say, I am a sucker for magicians. They amaze me! 

Amy and I were captivated!
The queen of hearts!



I love my mommy :)

Serving the food! 









We couldn't pass up these blue cupcakes, even though they turned our mouths blue for the rest of the day.





 Part Two was the Masquerade! Emily, Amy and I got to get all dressed up and eat a fancy dinner.

I just so happened to see my New Testament Professor there from BYU and it took him a minute to recognize me (since I was in a mask) and once he did, he was so surprised to see that I was Miss Orem! The funny thing about this encounter was that he called me out during class for the rest of the semester. The next class I went to, he announced that "we have a celebrity in our class! Miss Orem, would you stand up and say hello?" So I did and it was actually a little embarrassing to be put on the spot out of context! It was  very nice to see how highly he thought of the position of Miss Orem, it made me want to live it up that much more.

Again with the photo shoot ordeal. I love these girls.

Here is a slight fail of a kiss-blowing picture. 


Elsa's twin, anyone? So pretty!

Such an epic auctioneer.




I had to include this picture in here to document how fortunate and grateful I was feeling right after this event. This event was especially memorable for me. (Just to reiterate my experience:) Since this fundraiser is for the Children's Justice Center, it generated an extra amount of interest for me. I am studying Sociology and BYU and (at this time) was uncertain how to get involved with the appropriate organizations to support my professional pursuits! At this event I realized what a perfect opportunity it was for me to talk to the people in charge and get some more information about the program. I did just that and found the Justice Center to be EXACTLY what I was looking for. This fundraiser opened such a huge door for me. I now volunteer weekly at the Utah County Children's Justice Center and feel like I am right where I belong. Because of this fundraiser, I have found an avenue into my lifelong dream of working with underprivileged children. I am eternally thankful for the exposure that this title gave me so I could be introduced to this life-changing organization!


I am so glad that we have such an organized program that keeps us involved! Thanks to Joanne Jeffs and Kimberly Harris, who found this great fundraiser and many other fun events.


Love, Maddi Millard
Miss Orem 2014-2015
 
Never underestimate the power of a simple act of selfless service!
#createthegood
createthegood.org

No comments:

Post a Comment