Monday, July 4, 2011

America's Freedom Festival at Provo 2011

America's Freedom Festival at Provo is an AMAZING week of events. It started out last Sunday with a Patriotic Devotional at the Marriott Center at Brigham Young University in Provo.

I was invited to the Reception beforehand and was lucky enough to have a conversation with Governor Gary Herbert and his gracious wife Jeanette.
The Patriotic Devotional is always moving.
This year the Devotional was hosted by Miss American, Teresa Scanlan (in red). She is talented and genial. Also, leading the Pledge of Allegiance was the newly crowned Miss Utah, Danica Olsen (in black).

I felt lucky to meet with them again.

Also in attendance was Miss United Nations, Miss Africa Utah and Miss Provo.


Move ahead to Saturday night - Stadium of Fire. At the Reception before Stadium of Fire I was able to meet and speak with service men and women who help to keep our Country safe. Thanks to all those who put themselves in harm's way so we can be safe and free.

Chad Lewis (on my right) was the Emcee for Stadium of Fire this year. He used to play football for BYU and then went on to play tight end for the Philadelphia Eagles and for the St. Louis Rams. Steve Young (on my left) sits of the Festival Leadership board. He also played football for BYU and then was quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers. They are both really nice men.

Also at the Reception was David Osmond. I know my mom would have gone crazy for Donny - but David was in attendance.


Stadium of Fire was well attended and lots of fun. David Archuleta was there and sang a handful of songs. His Star Spangled Banner was AMAZING! I got my picture taken with him at the Reception and I will post it when they email it to me. Those pictures were taken by a professional - no snaps allowed. Brad Paisley was the headliner for the evening. He was great!



The fireworks seemed like the best they have ever done. I enjoyed how the fireworks were choreographed to the music. Spectacular!

Today was the Freedom Festival Parade. Orem's float received the Mayor's Award. Hooray!

We had to be there fairly early this morning and all of us took naps at one point or another.

There were so many people at this parade. I think it was the biggest one yet.

My sisters are the best! They are supportive and sweet. I love you Grace and Esther.


People camped out overnight for good spots at the parade - some even sat on their roof tops. Crazy. What a fun week it has been. I love living here in Utah, our great state, and living in the USA! Happy Birthday America.

Love, Miss Orem 2011

Hannah Harkness

No comments:

Post a Comment